Autonomous flight combined with collision avoidance??

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!

Autonomous flight combined with collision avoidance??

Postby Heli_Al » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:19 pm

Hi Team

I know zero about drones and their capabilities, so I'd like to know if the technology is here NOW for full autonomous flight and collision avoidance and is there any examples on this available ?

Is there software available NOW that is capable of telling the drone to do anything , like fly this road for xxx km's then return , fly this structure blah blah blah I'm sure you get my drift.

Any help much appreciated, also anyone that's available to talk to about this is NZ or OZ ?

Cheers

Re: Autonomous flight combined with collision avoidance??

Postby mdav » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:59 am

They have come along way and the modern dji examples have collision avoidance for forward above and below, but they won't see small branches like I discovered painfully resulting in a writeoff. As it's better then nothing it still a last resort and should not be relied on. You still by law need to remain in line of sight.

As for software there are heaps with a lot of automation features. If you take the time to set the mission up you can program flight path and gimbal control plus triggers etc.

Postby CYHeli » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:57 pm

Postby helothere » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:44 am

In a word, yes. Ground control software that runs on computers and mobile devices is available for autonomous flight for many platforms now. It simply requires some sort of telemetry link between the aircraft and ground station. As far as collission avoidance is concerned, an open source system such as a Pixhwak flight controller running APM or Mission planner software, has a built in function which simply needs to be activated and have the appropriate equipment installed on the aircraft (GPS and ADSB receiver) to perform autonomous avaoidance. It will probably become available on consumer platforms at some stage but not as yet.

Return to “Drone Q&A”