Inspire 1 vs Cobra helicopter

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!

Inspire 1 vs Cobra helicopter

Postby helmet spider » Mon May 08, 2017 8:28 am

Hello all
Today was an expensive day for me.
Whilst operating my Inspire 1 pro on a job over water I hear the sound of an incoming heavy two bladed chopper. I was at 150 ft and felt a possible threat so descended to 50 feet as the incoming chopper was at between 200 and 300 feet. I then engaged return home which was at 50. When the cobra came within 100m of the Inspire it immediately lost all connection and began to slowly descend. It appeared to loose GPS positioning and just floated around until a watery impact. I made several attempts to recapture the craft with no luck it was all dead. I as operating about 4.5 mm from Darwin and the Cobra belonged to our US Marine friends.
I have two concerns here one do these military type helicopters possess the ability to jam and defend themselves against drones (most likely and probably reasonably. But the fact that he was transiting below 500 ft and to me well below the 400ft and in the drone Zone.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Or have any knowledge of the existence of air mounted drone jamming? Or am I the victim of of a DJI ism.
Beware of low flying aircraft!!

HS

Re: Inspire 1 vs Cobra helicopter

Postby Scud » Wed May 17, 2017 4:38 am

Just a quick thing I'd like to say, the chopper is quite within it's normal operating limitations...not in a so called 'drone zone'. Low level is allowable. We are operating in their airspace, not the other way around. Were you in contact with Darwin Tower while 'on the job' or read NOTAMS for Darwin? Anyway...sorry to hear you lost your Inspire...not good.

In regards to any kind of technology enabling jamming, I have no idea.

In case you're curious, I do operate both RPAS and choppers.

Postby helmet spider » Thu May 18, 2017 7:50 am

Hi Scud
Thanks for your reply
You are quite right with respect to the drone zone. I didn't intend to make it sound exclusive for drones. I do disagree with you slightly in that we are operating in their airspace. The "drone Zone" I refer to is more an area of now shared air space that helicopter drivers need to keep in mind. The other thing I might mention without wanting to sound like I am starting an argument is CAR 157 which as a pilot I am sure you are all over. As the Cobra was transiting in a suburban area below 500 and not conducting operations that require that level I would challenge there reason for being there this was my concern because I was forced to maneuver to lower heights.
To answer your other question yes I was in contact with the tower and no I didn't read the Notams
Please don't take this as me having a crack either mate as I also fly choppers and drones scare the crap out of me as I regularly operate low level. Drones are part of our futures wether we like it or not. We just need to find the best way of operating together.
With respect to the possible existence of drone jamming technology,if they do have it they need to fly higher or turn it off when over suburban areas. Time and place.

Thanks again for your reply

HS

Postby Cleared Hot » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:16 am

Weird. Never heard of a jamming device but wouldn't put it past them. Di you think maybe it was a bit of a coincidence. How far away were you operating, was it line of sight etc..

Return to “Drone Q&A”